Phagwah day celebrations turned tragic for the owner of a Sheriff Street building after it went up in flames on Wednesday
The building engulfed in flames
Reports are that at about 15:00h, fire of unknown origin ravished the former Sheriff Restaurant and Bar, which operated at Lot 10 Sheriff Street, Campbellville.
Information reaching Guyana Times indicated that the two-storied building was unoccupied for the past two years and has been without electricity.
When this newspaper arrived at the scene, firefighters were seen battling to contain the blaze as other nearby businesses were threatened.
Deputy Fire Chief Compton Sparman informed the media that initially, firefighter struggled to contain the blaze because of limited water source.
“When we got there was a burst-out, the entire top floor was engulfed in flames. Firefighters went into operation but they could not contain the fire because of the limited amount of water,” he pointed out.
He attributed the lack of access to water on the current dry season, adding also that the building’s grill work hampered the firemen’s operations.
However, firefighters managed to tap into nearby fire hydrants and canals in their efforts to douse the blaze.
A worried neighbour who spoke with this publication said his family was not at home but received a telephone call informing them that their properties were threatened due the fire.
When they returned home, the firefighters had already contained the blaze. Guyana Times was told that that several attempts were made to contact the current owner of the building but to no avail.
David Bacchus Jr, whose family sold the business a number of years ago, was present at the scene and estimated the losses at over $100 million. The 37-year-old who said he grew up at the property, expressed his sadness over the loss, noting that the building held a lot of “sentimental feelings.”