September 30, 2016

Pensioner’s SUV, ATM card recovered

Soesdyke/Linden Highway murder


– 1 in custody

One day after a pensioner was found dead in his Soesdyke/Linden Highway home, investigators have arrested one person and recovered the man’s missing SUV and banking card.

The partially decomposed body of 60-year-old Anthony Breedy of Lot 76-78 First Hill, Soesdyke/Linden Highway, was discovered in the bottom flat of his home on Monday afternoon. His hands and feet were bound.

According to information received, the dead man’s body bore several marks of violence, including lacerations to the head, and his SUV was reported missing.

Head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Wendell Blanhum told Guyana Times on Tuesday that the vehicle was recovered in Nabaclis, East Coast Demerara, but could not give the time it was found.

The Crime Chief further revealed that Police have arrested a suspect who was found in possession of Breedy’s Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card. Blanhum noted that while further investigations were ongoing, they were able to make a connection between the suspect in custody and the SUV.

Meanwhile, this newspaper was made to understand that the suspect was arrested in Speightland, Mackenzie, Linden, late Monday night and taken to Georgetown. Police sources have also confirmed that they are looking for a second suspect from that area as well.

According to reports, Breedy lived alone and was not seen for several days. It was after a foul stench was detected by neighbours, the gruesome discovery was made.

They alerted members of the Community Policing Group who in turn contacted the Timehri Police Station. Crime scene experts have recovered several pieces of evidence as they continue their investigations. The house was reportedly ransacked thus leading investigators to believe that Breedy’s death might have stemmed from a robbery.

One resident told Guyana Times that after the man’s SUV was not seen, they thought that he had left for the interior where he operated a business.

The body was taken to the Lyken Funeral Home to await a post-mortem examination.

About GuyanaTimes