September 27, 2016

Accused jailed for 3 years on bodily harm charge

Annandale shooting

Osamo Stevens, 24, of Annandale, East Coast Demerara (ECD), was on Thursday sentenced to three years in prison by Justice Jo-Ann Barlow at the Georgetown High Court after he was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm.
Stevens was before Justice Jo-Ann Barlow and a mixed jury on two charges, the first being that on Saturday, December 23, 2007 at Sand Reef, Annandale, ECD, he shot Devon Spencer also called “Housetop”, with intent to murder. The second charge is that on the same day, he inflicted grievous bodily harm on the said Spencer with intent to maim, disable and disfigure.
Last Friday, he was found not guilty on the attempted murder charge, however, the Jury instead found him guilty of causing grievous bodily harm.
The trial commenced last Tuesday, and the prosecution closed its case the following day after presenting four witnesses.
Detective Mahendra Tooknauth had testified on January 2008 that he made personal contact with the accused at the CID Headquarters, Eve Leary, Georgetown, where the accused told him that an individual who he identified as “Fine Man” gave him the gun to kill Spencer if he wanted to start ‘liming’ with him.
The victim had also testified that on the day of the incident, he was on his motorcycle when he heard an explosion. He stated that upon making checks to his back, he realised that he was bleeding. He revealed that the accused then walked in front of him saying “yuh know how long ah want kill yuh s****”. He further testified that when he looked back no one else was there at the scene.
On Thursday, Stevens led his defence during which he vehemently denied being involved in the shooting, and made claims that the Police were trying to wrongfully implicate him.  The unrepresented accused made a brief unsworn testimony, telling the Court that he did not commit the offences for which he stands indicted.
Stevens alleged that he knew both Spencer and “fine man” as they all lived in the same area. He stated that he was not a friend with either of the men, and did not shoot anyone.
Stevens alleged that the Police were trying to frame him for the shooting but he was innocent.

About GuyanaTimes