October 1, 2016

Prosecution closes case

Annandale shooting

– unrepresented accused to lead his defence today

The prosecution team on Wednesday closed its case against Osamo Stevens, who is on trial for attempted murder. The 24-year-old stands before Justice Jo-Ann Barlow and a mixed jury on two charges. The first charge read that on December 23, 2007 at Sand Reef, Annandale, East Coast Demerara, he shot Devon Spencer, also called “Housetop”, with the intent to commit murder. The second charge stated that on the same day, he inflicted grievous bodily harm on Spencer with intent to maim, disable and disfigure.
The trial commenced on Tuesday, and the prosecution team closed its case after presenting its four witnesses.

On Wednesday, a voir dire into technicalities of the evidence and the testimony of three Police witnesses also concluded.

The first witness was Detective Mahendra Tooknauth, who is attached to the Police Narcotics Branch. He testified that at the time of the incident he was stationed at the Vigilance Police Station attached to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

He related that on the day of the incident, about 1 18:00h, relative to a report made by Spencer that he was shot by the accused in his lower back at 17:40h at Annandale, he travelled to the location to examine the crime scene, but found nothing of evidential worth.  He said that as he found no spent shells or anything suspicious, he left the scene. He further explained that based on the information he received from the victim, he contacted one “OJ” who he later identified as the accused.

Detective Tooknauth stated that on January 23, 2008, he made personal contact with the accused at the CID Headquarters, Eve Leary where he was questioned in relation to the shooting. Tooknauth related that the questioning was done in the presence of one Inspector Singh in an open room. He stated that he told the young man, who was 16 years old at the time, that he was not mandated to say anything and could remain silent if he wished.

Tooknauth told the Court that the accused told him that an individual who he identified as “Fine Man” gave him the gun to kill Spencer if he wanted to start ‘liming’ with him. The detective swore that he did not use force, fear or threats in his questioning. Further, under cross-examination by the accused, Tooknauth denied that he deprived him of his rights. Under jury re-examination, the witness stated that he did inquire further about “Fine Man” but did not divulge much about his findings.

State witness Police Lance Corporal Kellon Fraser testified that on the day of the incident, while he was stationed at the Beterverwagting Police Station, he received information about an alleged shooting. He explained that about 17:20h, he accompanied the injured Spencer to the Georgetown Public Hospital in an ambulance and the victim was examined by doctors on duty and admitted. He further explained that on January 18, 2008, he returned to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he uplifted a medical certificate for Spencer. He testified to making a copy which he placed in the Police file and delivering the original to the Station Sergeant.

Another State witness Corporal Daniel Corbin, who is stationed at the Kwakwani Police Station, explained that in January 2008, he was stationed at the Mackenzie Police Station, attached to the Anti-Crime Unit. He related that on January 23, 2008, he was on patrol duty at Wismar, Linden when he received information which led him to stop minibus PJJ 5894, which was occupied by 11 persons.

He stated that he conducted a search of the bus and recognised a male dressed in a green shirt and a pair of green jeans. He stated that the young man was carrying a blue haversack. Corbin explained that he approached the young man and told him that he needed to accompany him to the Mackenzie Police Station, as there was a matter under investigation involving the young man. Corporal Corbin related that the haversack carried by the young man, who he identified as the accused, contained several pieces of clothing.  He stated that he escorted the accused to the Police Station where he transferred him into the custody of one Inspector Wright.

The matter continues today when the unrepresented accused will lead his defence.

About GuyanaTimes