May 30, 2016

Five remain in custody for businessman’s murder

Murdered: Rajendra Singh

Murdered: Rajendra Singh

Acting Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud on Friday confirmed that five persons remain in custody in connection with the kidnapping and murder of Foulis, Enmore, East Coast Demerara businessman Rajendra Singh.

Singh was found dead on Wednesday in the La Repentir Cemetery, Georgetown.

Persaud told media operatives that the police are continuing their investigations, but from all indications, the motive was kidnapping.

The autopsy performed on the dead man revealed that he was shot twice, but again Persaud could not say the calibre of weapon that was used, noting that the police are further analysing the evidence at their disposal.

In addition, the police are analysing the telephone calls made to the relatives and more so the wife of the dead businessman.

However, a senior rank explained that the police are grilling those in custody with the hope of them “cracking”.

He added that as the investigations continue, they are getting inconsistent reports from at least one person, and as such, it will take some time to get a breakthrough.

Singh was kidnapped last Saturday evening, but was on Wednesday morning found with his throat slit and bullet wounds to the head.

The 40-year-old businessman of Lot 15 Foulis, Enmore, was discovered with his hands tied behind his back with a piece of rope. A white cloth was also tied around his neck.

Investigators confirmed that the man was strangled before his throat was slit. They also believe that he was tortured.

Singh’s body bore several marks of violence, which indicated that he was severely beaten. The businessman was clad in a pair of black socks, a pair of short blue pants, and a blue t-shirt, with fresh bloodstains on his body. He was tied to an abbey tree.

The businessman was positively identified by a tattoo on one of his arms by a close relative, who is a police rank.

A relative of the dead man subsequently turned up at the scene, but there were no signs of the businessman’s immediate family.

It was reported that the kidnappers would have contacted the family on Tuesday morning, requesting that the $25 million ransom be dropped off at a certain location.

The kidnappers reportedly contacted the family a while later and gave an ultimatum that the money must be delivered by 12:00h on Tuesday, a deadline the family failed to meet.

About GuyanaTimes